Her eloquent description of the pine trees singing is one example:
Rustle, whisper, shiver, whinny. Aria, chorus, ballad, chant. Lullaby. In the choirs of the original groves, the music must have resounded for hundreds of miles in a single note of rise and fall, lift and wane, and stirred the red-cockaded woodpeckers nesting in the hearts of these pines, where I also nest, child of soft heart. Now we strain to hear the music; anachronous, it has an edge. It falters, a great tongue chopped in pieces.Something as simple as the wind blowing through the pines is described as this beautiful compilation of song. She turns around at the end and tells us how the song is now misplaced in time, lost. The melody has been destroyed.
The difference in Ray's writing with the others is her story. Her memoir is a powerful and moving story, which tells of her poor and hard times growing up in a rugged land. I feel that Ray uses her knowledge of the land and its history to make herself more believable. When she did tell second-hand stories, they came off truthful and valid. Because of her confidence and telling of the actual facts, I did not find myself second guessing her.
I thought that her stories were unique and outrageous, which made them even more believable. I absolutely lost it when she briefly describes herself steering and braking cars home with her father, while connected to his truck by an "eight-foot range of iron chain." Her short anecdotes sometimes serve to describe the traits people or the area, rather than Ray telling us. Her father might not have had the book smarts, but he had enough brains to understand hard work. Working five days on the math problem just gives me an understanding of her father's dedication and desire to finish.
I thought that Ray used the major theme of the vanishing longleaf pines to symbolize the life of her father. The pines, which she was born from, are massive and godlike. "You look up at leaves so high their shapes are beyond focus . . . you stand and press your body into the ancestral and enduring, arms wide, and your fingers do not touch." Although uneducated, her father was a smart man and a great salesman who knew how to deal with people and make the best of his business. Even though "an invasion of a terrible army of axemen" may have caused the vanishing of longleaf pines, this seems like an uncontrollable force. Her father falls at the hands of a similar force, a mental state that almost seemed unavoidable.
I don't think that I could write about my childhood with such passion and description. My memory is not as strong as hers. I think that her circumstances differ from mine. Her childhood was tough and in the deep south, in the backwoods. Mine was in the suburbs where both parents held steady jobs. I believe that those hard times in your life stick out the most, because you know what you had to go through to come out barely breathing. My past as a child holds few similarities to Ray's.

NIcely developed post, Matt. But I disagree about what you can and cannot write about! We need more of you who grew up in the suburbs to write about that experience. You would be surprised at what comes out once you start writing. You think you don't remember, but then you put down one thing and it reminds you of something else. And you can also ask your family, too. Even with steady jobs there's always something to write about! You just have to go a little deeper.
ReplyDelete